The National Defence Academy exam, also known as the NDA exam, is one of the most coveted defence entrance exams in the country. The exam is for admission to the NDA’s Army, Navy, and Air Force wings, as well as the Indian Naval Academy’s course (INAC). The NDA exam has two parts: a written exam and an SSB interview. It is held twice every year.
The written exam is a multiple-choice question-based exam, divided into two parts i.e., Mathematics and General Ability Test. It is a multiple-choice question-based exam. The whole paper is of 900 marks with the Mathematics accounting for 300 marks. As a result, scoring well in the Maths section is critical for clearing the written exam.
If students are thoroughly familiar with the concepts in this part and can calculate fast, they will be able to solve all of the questions with great accuracy and speed and therefore can achieve a good score in the exam.
On that note, let’s discuss some crucial preparation tips with important topics to give your preparation an edge over others
Important Tips and Tricks for Mathematics Preparation
- After solving past years’ question papers, candidates must have a comprehensive understanding of the types of questions, trends in weightage of different topics asked in the NDA exam and therefore make a note of these important details.
- Start with important topics carrying higher weightage, at the same time, allocate time for the more complex topics.
- Mock tests can help you figure out how much time to devote to each type of question as well as analyze your performance thereby helping you to improve your accuracy and speed.
- To save time during exams, candidates must learn short tricks and formulas. furthermore to speed up calculations, memorize as many squares, cubes and tables as you can.
- Make short notes of short tricks and formulas to resort to when revising at the last minute.
- As the exam has negative marking, students should only mark the answer if they are certain about it. During the exam, do not make educated guesses about the answers.
- For NDA preparation, candidates should refer to good mathematics books such as Objective Arithmetic by R.S Aggarwal.
- During the last stages of preparation, set aside at least three hours each day for revision and go over the formula and short tricks.
- Trigonometry is a tricky topic. Understand and have sound knowledge of Triangle Properties and Inverse Trigonometric Functions. Furthermore, solve such questions in the end.
- One most important units in the NDA mathematics syllabus is Vector Algebra. Questions based on the Vector Product or Cross Product of two vectors should be practiced.
- The statistics section may appear simple, but be cautious while calculating the figures. The Elementary Theorems, Bayes’ Theorem, and Binomial Distribution are significant in probability.
Important Topics for NDA Mathematics Section
Most of the questions asked from this topic are usually easy. The majority of the questions are formulaic and outcome-oriented. So make a mental note of major complex number results, the binomial theorem, permutation and combination, and so on.
It includes chapters on derivatives, differentiation, definite integrals, and area under the curve, among others. If you gain a good grasp of graphs and how to use them, you can do well in this part.
Around 20 questions can be asked revolving around important trigonometric concepts including Trigonometric Ratios, identities, Inverse trigonometric functions, Applications-Height and distance, properties of triangles, Trigonometric Sum, and difference formulae and others.
Besides, the aforementioned topics, there are topics like vectors, complex numbers, and geometry that will require more attention from you.